Saturday 7 November 2009

sew sew sew...

I'm not the greatest seamstress in the world and sewing teeny tiny clothes is pretty difficult. The skirt wasn't too bad as i could sew it inside out and turn it the right was so the seam was neatly hidden on the inside, dye the skirt in some watered down fabric paint (this was more economic than buying a fabric dye and made it easier to mix my own colour) and then put the skirt on her. 

The sleeves were a lot more difficult as I wanted the seam to be hidden to make them as neat as possible. I had a practice run using some very thin elastic (as thin as cotton thread) to see if it had enough give in it for me to sew the sleeves and then stretch them over her hands, but it wouldn't stretch enough before it snapped. In the end I dyed the fabric before making the sleeves, sewed the cuff detail onto the edge of a rectangular piece of fabric and folded over an edge to create the seam. I then wrapped this round the arm and sewed the folded edge to the underlapping material. does than make sense? probably not! but anyway... voila!...


On the photo below you can also see the tights. These were made using actual tights. i bought some "pop socks" from Primark and cut off the tops which are like a large hem/tube. I found the inside of this tube had a better fabric pattern so i put the tubes of fabric on her legs, pinned them in order to take them in, and sewed them with invisible thread (it's not really invisible unfortunately, it's just clear nylon) then turned them inside out. I kept them long to that i could make them gathered at the bottom... old granny stylee...


No comments:

Post a Comment